«Sokol-M» weather station in nature reserves
an accurate tool for scientific work and a reliable assistant for disaster prevention
The specifics of the work and the tasks of the clients
In order to implement the full range of meteorological tasks and prevent the threat of emergencies, the heads of the reserves decided to purchase modern meteorological equipment.
Among determined requirements for the new weather stations there were:
- registration of all parameters necessary for the "Chronicle of Nature"
- the ability to predict weather changes
- real-time data transmission
- support GSM, GLONASS / GPS, LoRa, Bluetooth
- connecting additional devices, including wireless sensors
- offline operation
- resistance to harsh climatic conditions
- It should be noted that natural objects occupy vast territories up to 1.3 million hectares ("Lenskiye stolby"). Often there is no high-quality mobile signal, so the connection of the meteorological station with satellite systems is extremely necessary. It is equally important that the meteorological station could be operated in the absence of electrical networks, could withstand sudden temperature changes and extreme natural phenomena.
As a result of the consideration of various proposals, the heads of nature reserves and national parks made a choice in favor of the "Sokol-M" weather station produced by "Escort" Group of Companies.
- "Sokol-M" is a versatile and cost-effective professional weather station that allows to record air temperature and humidity, wind speed and direction, the amount and intensity of precipitation, and the UV index. In addition to the "Sokol-M" there is an ability to connect equipment within a radius of up to 5 km with data transmission via the LoRa wireless channel. For example, soil moisture/temperature sensors and leaf moisture sensors. Thus, the station allows users to get all the hydrometeorological parameters for maintaining the "Chronicle of Nature".
- The "Chronicle of Nature" is a set of data on the dynamics of natural phenomena and processes occurring in the park during the year. At the end of each year, all observations on the course of natural processes are summarized, the main types of connections between the various components of nature, their features characteristic of this year are revealed. The "Chronicle of Nature" includes information about the territory of the National Park, the features of its relief, hydrography, soil and vegetation cover, weather and climate indicators, the main types of ecosystems, their structure and functioning.
Also a webcam for photographing weather events may be installed on the "Sokol-M".
"Sokol-M" is equipped with a GLONASS / GPS-receiver to set out the precise geolocation of the weather station within the site and a GSM-modem for data transmission via cellular communication channels. In regions with poor cellular network coverage, the meteorological station is equipped with an enhanced GSM antenna to increase the signal strength. In areas without GSM coverage, uninterrupted data transmission can be provided using Iridium satellite communications. In case of communication interruptions, "Sokol-M" still continues to accumulate readings in the built-in memory and transmits them to the server when a signal appears.
Representative of the "Khopersky" Nature Reserve
In addition to the "Sokol-M" we plan to install cables for a remote weather vane and anemometer, a web camera for photographing weather events, and a sensor for determining the height of snow cover. The readings obtained from the new meteorological station will be presented in our Nature Chronicles and will provide a weather basis for studying the dynamics of the abiotic and biotic components of the "Khopersky" Nature Reserve.
Representative of the "Escort" Group of Companies
The experience of operating our weather station in the territories of protected areas confirms that it is capable of 100% solving the tasks of environmental institutions.
In 2021, about 30 nature reserves and national parks intend to install the "Sokol-M".